This course is aimed at those who are currently taking venous blood samples and wish to update their phlebotomy (venepuncture) skills and demonstrate their continuing competence – includes a review of the theory and practice of taking blood from the arm and dorsum of the hand.
Phlebotomy (Venepuncture) Update
- Anatomy and physiology
- Reasons for carrying out phlebotomy
- Different methods of phlebotomy
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Potential problems and how to address them
- Relevant policies and procedures
- Equipment used locally
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Demonstration of competence on a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
- Discussion re: recommended versus actual practice
- Sharing of good practice
Please note that you will need to bring your own refreshments as they are not provided.
This course is fully funded through Greater Peterborough Network, Cambs GP Network and West Cambs Federation.