A ‘rebalanced’ appraisal process (Medical Appraisal 2020) is due to restart on 1st October for 12 months in recognition of the impact of the pandemic, and the evidence of outstanding learning, flexibility and professionalism shown by doctors in recent months.
Further information is available here https://www.aomrc.org.uk/revalidation-cpd/appraisal-revalidation-during-covid-19/
The emphasis is on a supportive confidential conversation on your learning, health and wellbeing.
The requirements for supporting information have reduced (although you are still very welcome to submit all you have collected since your last appraisal).
If your appraisal was due between 1st April 2020-September 30th 2020 there is no catch up appraisal planned, and it will be marked as ‘approved missed’ by the Responsible Officer with no impact or change to your revalidation date.
If you were due to be revalidated between 17th March 2020-16th March 2021, guidance states your revalidation date will be moved back by 1 year as per a decision made by the GMC in June 2020. Find further information here: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/managing-your-registration/revalidation
When your appraisal is due, guidance states that you still need to provide your appraiser with:
- A summary of your current scope of work and recent changes
- A review of your PDP and any progress made
- Brief reflective notes on your challenges, achievements and aspirations (but it is acceptable to provide all reflections verbally at your appraisal)
- An indication of any CPD, QIA or feedback, including compliments, you wish to focus on at the meeting
- The inclusion of any complaints or significant events that need to be discussed at the meeting, or anything that they you specifically asked to bring to the appraisal, in the usual way
- Ideas for their future development
- All pre-appraisal sign-offs, including probity and health
Appraisals are planned to take place virtually. Here is a sample template for Medical Appraisals 2020
We will continue to update these pages as further information becomes available.
Latest update: 6th September 2020, from guidance published by NHSEI
East of England
Please click here to read a letter from NHS England and NHS Improvement Medical Directorate, East of England Region Appraisal and Revalidation Team on the resumption of appraisals in our region.
Email address for East of England Appraisals: email@example.com