The Government’s new Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund to create hundreds of thousands of high quality 6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16 to 24 who are on Universal Credit and are deemed to be at risk of long term unemployment. Currently, there are around some 900,000 young people eligible for Kickstart, an increase of over 50% since 2019 and now the Chancellor is pledging support to help counter this situation.
The PMA has been appointed by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) as a Gateway provider for this UK-wide initiative (excluding Northern Ireland). We are now accepting applications from employers for one or more placements for Kickstart.
The PMA KICKSTART scheme will provide a much needed, valuable and talent-rich resource to GP Practices throughout the UK. This is especially relevant with the immediate increase in workload due to the delivery of the national COVID-19 vaccination timetable.
What are the benefits?
- No costs incurred by the GP Practice
- Fully government funded 6-month work placement
- PMA full vetting and recruitment of suitable applicants
- Kickstart Employee working 25 hours per week, free of charge
- GP Practices receive an additional £300 to cover PPE, uniform and other associated costs
- Full Primary Care aligned training provided by PMA tutors & coaches
- PMA weekly monitoring with employee and practice to ensure the placement is a success
- On completion, the Kickstarter can progress as an Apprentice Employee
- GP Practices can then benefit from even more government funding, up to £3000 per apprentice.
Our goal is to maximise the opportunity of 6-month employment by ensuring both parties are happy with the placement. By focusing more on the person, work relationships and gaining skills, rather than more traditional employability sessions, GP Practices will get so much more out of the PMA KICKSTART Scheme.
This will naturally lead to greater opportunities for employment in the future and smooth transitioning onto apprenticeship programmes, where feasible. We believe it is better to enhance experiences that will go on a CV rather than simply spend time learning how to write one. To find out more or to register for PMA KICKSTART please visit our website or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can view a recording of the PMA Kickstart Scheme webinar (you will be required to register in order to access the video).
You can also find more about the Government scheme on the Gov.uk website.