As set out in the NHS Long Term Plan and We are the NHS: People Plan for 2020/21, the NHS must lead the way in valuing, caring for, listening to, educating and rewarding our people.
To improve the experience of our people and make sure they stay with us for longer, we all need to take part in a cultural transformation. We all want our people to be happy, healthy and able to make changes throughout their career – from their first start to their retirement – which suit their individual ambitions, life events and skills. This can’t happen unless everyone takes part in driving this change.
Through the Looking After Our People – Retention Programme, we want to support systems and organisations to value and retain their people. We will bring together national experts and local experience to offer information, tools and practical support for systems and organisations across the NHS to help you deliver the NHS People Promise. Building on learning from the NHS Improvement nursing retention programme, we’ve expanded and enhanced our offer to make sure we deliver a great working experience for all our staff. You can expect to see:
- New tools and live examples of improvement
- A series of masterclasses with national experts to support all our NHS people to make their organisations a better place to work
- Updated data analytical packs along with a retention section in Model Hospital
- Regional improvement collaboratives from 2021
- Hands on support to trusts and systems, starting with our three pathfinders in the autumn
The tools and examples set out in this hub are centred around all the themes of the People Promise.
This newly launched resource will continue to grow over the summer and autumn with your help and ideas.