Our new MSK Clinical Mentoring Project aims to support GPs to upskill in MSK assessment and joint injection skills through practical learning in clinic.
There are increasing numbers of complex patients with chronic conditions, including painful arthritis and joint conditions, less able to access services due to the Covid pandemic.
GPs wanting to gain expertise in MSK and joint injections can do this through high quality supervision, which is currently difficult to deliver in stretched practices, consulting remotely.
The project is open to any GP working in C&P, who wishes to upskill in MSK diagnostics and treatment.
- You will work with a designated MSK GP specialist supervisor, to benefit from learning in shared MSK surgeries.
- Up to 20 hours of clinical supervision per learner, to support you to develop MSK diagnostic skills and make confident management plans, moving to supervised joint injection clinics when safe to do so.
- You will be required to sign a Learner Agreement and will need to undertake any pre-learning required on Fundamentals of practical joint anatomy and Basic clinical rheumatology diagnostic skills to maximise benefit from the joint sessions.
- The supervisor will provide guidance on planning, preparation and organising the clinics.
- It is the learner’s responsibility to arrange the time and date and IT platform of shared clinics with the GP supervisor, at least 4 weeks in advance of the clinic, and to provide a clinical room and equipment required for practical/Face to Face clinics.
- The learner and employing practice will be responsible for arranging appropriate patients to be booked into joint clinical time, and the learner will retain clinical responsibility for patients reviewed during joint clinics.
Available to start immediately, 20 hours of Clinical supervision to be delivered flexibly over 3-6 months.
Video consultations via Accurx or virtual platform of current clinical use in practice, with face to face injection clinics to take place on site in the learner’s practice.
How do I sign up?
If you would like to use this fantastic opportunity to develop your MSK skills, please click ‘register interest’ to email us. Please include your GMC number, contact info, practice details and a brief letter explaining your suitability for this method of training, with the support of your practice manager/line manager.