There are increasing numbers of complex patients with chronic conditions, including painful arthritis and joint conditions, less able to access services due to the Covid pandemic.
GPs wanting to gain expertise in MSK and joint injections can do this through high quality supervision, which is currently difficult to deliver in stretched practices, consulting remotely.
As part of our Clinical Skills Development Programme, we have an opportunity for GPs to upskill in the musculoskeletal area. This is a 2-stage opportunity to gain knowledge of musculoskeletal conditions and attend clinics with an experienced MSK clinical mentor to see MSK diagnosis and care in action.
The objectives of the training are:
- Develop knowledge of how to assess, diagnose and manage musculoskeletal conditions
- Confidence in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal conditions within primary care without the need to refer onto secondary care
- Feedback from an experienced mentor to increase confidence and practice in administering joint injections
The project is open to any GP working in general practice in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough, who wishes to develop their knowledge and skills in MSK diagnostics and treatment.
A candidate can complete stage 1 or 2 only, or both stages, depending on their area of interest. Stage 2 must be completed with 6 months of commencement.
If a candidate commences the programme at stage 2, the candidate will be signposted to the recommended pre-programme study if the trainer identifies a need to expand their theory knowledge prior to any further observation sessions.
Stage 1 – Theory
The Training Hub will fund online study with Medical Skills Courses, Learn to Manage Musculoskeletal Conditions: The MSK Online Course. Course details can be found here
Please note the following terms and conditions:
- External online course will be reimbursed following receipt of certification/ confirmation of course attendance and claim form
- Cost will cover the course fees for the online course only
Stage 2 – Observation (*currently on hold)
The Training Hub will coordinate up to 2 sessions accompanying an experienced MSK clinical mentor in MSK Clinics.
- The clinic days will be provided following successful application to the programme
- All dates to be booked and completed within 6 months of stage 2 commencement
Please note that the session time in the clinics will be at the candidates own cost, and due to clinic scheduling, dates and times cannot be adapted to meet individual requirements.
*Please note stage 2 is currently paused pending appointment of a new clinical mentor
If you would like to use this excellent opportunity to develop your MSK skills, please complete the application form below.
Please obtain the support of your practice manager/line manager before applying, and you/they will be required to complete a Learner Agreement if your application is successful.