Overview of role
Health and wellbeing coaches (HWBCs) will predominately use health coaching skills to support people with lower levels of patient activation to develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become active participants in their care so that they can reach their self-identified health and wellbeing goals. They may also provide access to self-management education, peer support and social prescribing.
HWBCS will use a non-judgemental approach that supports the person to self-identify existing issues and encourages proactive prevention of new and existing illnesses. This approach is based on using strong communication and negotiation skills, supports personal choice and positive risk taking, addresses potential consequences, and ensures people understand the accountability of their own decisions based on what matters to the person.
They can also play a crucial role in helping the wider PCN to understand the barriers for individuals/groups in accessing support in the community, and use this insight in developing community-based support, working as part of the wider social prescribing model.
Example tasks that role is trained to deliver:
- Offers 1:1 or group sessions with patients health and wellbeing support needs
- Research and audit
- Diet and lifestyle advice
- Health promotion
From April 2020, this role will be reimbursed at 100% on the Additional Role Reimbursement Scheme for PCNs.
- The Personalised Care Institute will set out what training is available and expected for HWBCs. Further information will be provided when published. HWBCs will be required to be trained in health coaching in line with the NHSE/I Implementation and quality summary guide
- Training will include understanding the basics of social prescribing, plus an accredited health coaching skills programme (minimum of 4 days) and documented practice hours, plus opportunities for reflection and follow up activities
- Ongoing regular supervision from a health coaching mentor is required.
Select here to find out more about the role, including job descriptions, case studies and more: Health and Wellbeing Coach