Overview of role
Pharmacy technicians play an important role within general practice and complement the more clinical work of clinical pharmacist, through utilisation of their technical skillset. Their deployment within primary care settings allows the application of their acquired pharmaceutical knowledge in tasks such as audits, discharge management, prescription issuing, and where appropriate, informing patients and other members of PCN workforce. Work is often under the direction of clinical pharmacists, and this benefit is realised through the creation of a PCN pharmacy team.
Pharmacy Technicians will take on clinical roles including patient support roles including conversations on effective medicine use and review, prioritising shared decision making in consultation with patients. PCNs could utilize Technicians to support the medication review and reconciliation for patients transferring between care settings, link to new patients to care homes and to community pharmacists.
Pharmacy Technicians will also take on technical and administrative roles including ensuring effective medicine optimisation, effective ordering and reduction of waste. Technicians will also take on a training role for example offer supervision for administrative staff around the referral processes within the Practice.
Example tasks that role is trained to deliver:
- Clinical training & research and audit
- Medication review and queries
- Weight and lifestyle advice
- Check inhaler technique
From April 2020, this role will be reimbursed at 100% on the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme for PCNs.
- Pharmacists undertake a masters level qualification (MPharmS) plus a one-year post graduate pre-registration structured programme regulated by the GOhC
- The new curriculum for pre-registration trainee pharmacy technicians is being tested with placements in general practice, through the Pharmacy Integration Fund (PhIF)
- Level 3
- Pharmacy Technicians through NUTH, need to be registered with GPhC
Click the link to find out more about the role, including job descriptions, case studies and more: Pharmacy Technician
Click here to read the National Competency Framework for Primary Care Pharmacy Technicians