This structured programme has the support of the Thames Valley Cervical Cytology Screening Educational Group and NHS England (Wessex), Bournemouth University and the CCGs. This accredited course runs 5-6 times a year in Thames Valley, Wessex Lincoln and Surrey.
The course is 9 months in length from the core days.
- Open to nurses in primary care, General Practitioners Physicians Associates, community nurses, practice nurses, registered nursing associates, prison nurses, the armed forces, midwives and health visitors
- All nurses are required to be working in their chosen area of work, the community, general practice or the prison service for a minimum of 8 hours per week
- Self-directed learning e.g., library access
- Duration – 9 months, two core days
- Visits – 2 half days
- Clinical placement – a minimum of 5 directly supervised sessions of clinical skills development (this may vary depending on the progress of the student) by a mentor
- 100% attendance at study day and practical sessions are required
- Content – A balance of theory and clinical skills
- 85% pass is required of multi-choice exam prior to allocation to clinical placement
- External assessor from Clinical Training Ltd will undertake a final assessment of 3 complete consultations undertaken.
- Evidence based portfolio – all students are required to submit an evidence-based portfolio with the student’s interim and final assessment, completed competencies, reflective pieces, audit and visits (this has to be submitted to qualify).
- Application form – this must be completed in-line with the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Training Hub requirements.
- Place Confirmation – this will be sent by e-mail on receipt of application.
- Pre- course reading pack will be sent out 1 – 2 weeks prior to core days.
- Core Days – these will include an exam, theory and the opportunity to have practical experience prior to their placements.
- In- House Mentor – every student must have a mentor to support them with the clinical aspect of the course.
- Course leader – all students will be encouraged to use the course leader as a resource.
- Final Assessment – This is undertaken in the students practice by Clinical Training Limited
- Visits – all students are required to attend department visits, cellular pathology and colposcopy