Managing Conflict in the Healthcare Setting
The workshop enables staff to:
- Expand your self-awareness, and recognise your own reaction to anger and aggression.
- Share your own experiences of conflict, what led to the situation, what existing skills were used to diffuse the situation, and what was the outcome?
- Explore styles of conflict resolution-balancing concern for yourself with concern for others.
- Remain safe-recognise the importance of situational awareness, considering practical and environmental considerations in conflict management.
- Develop specific techniques to manage conflict, using key phrases, verbal techniques, active listening and effective body language.
- Recognise the skills and limitations of other team members in conflict resolution. When does a conflict situation become a de-escalation situation? When should I call for help.
- Develop a SMART action plan-how can I develop my conflict resolution skills further?
You will have the opportunity to practice your conflict management and de-escalation skills in a facilitated, scenario-based workshop. The scenarios can be based upon common problems that occur in the health care setting. Alternatively, the scenarios can be of your own choosing, the trainer will contact you prior to the workshop to discuss this in detail.