Support and develop those in your practice!
Health Education England (HEE) are funding a programme to support the development of General Practice Assistants (GPAs) in Primary Care.
GP Assistants (sometimes referred to as Medical Assistant) support doctors in the smooth running of their surgery by handling the routine administration and some basic clinical duties enabling the GP to focus on the patient.
- Completion within 6-9 months
- Framework that covers 5 domains (2 clinical and 3 non-clinical)
- Open to existing staff who are already considered competent in good patient care from experience as members of a GP practice
- Confirmation of a dedicated, named GP mentor who can guarantee regular tutorials
- On-line portal ‘Learning Assistant’
- Write up and present evidence for the GP mentor to mark and sign off
- Each learner has one day protected learning time (½ day self-learning, ½ day mentor supervision)
- Certification upon completion
Health Education England offers 40 places across the East of England, with a financial incentive to practices of up to £2120 per learner to cover backfill for the GPA for the one day per week and to recognise clinical support.