This event is face to face. We have ensured that the seating is socially distanced. Please do bring a mask.
This course is aimed at those new to phlebotomy (venepuncture) – an introduction the theory and practice of taking blood from the arm and dorsum of the hand.
- Anatomy and physiology
- Reasons for carrying out phlebotomy
- Different methods of phlebotomy
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Potential problems and how to address them
- Review of relevant policies and procedures
- Familiarisation with equipment used locally
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Practicing obtaining a venous blood sample from a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
On completion of the course, all delegates will have to undergo a period of supervised practice in their workplace and formal assessment of competency.