This event is popular and places are funded by the Training Hub, so please only book if you are sure you can attend. If you book and later find you are unable to attend for any reason, please let us know so that we can reallocate your place to our waiting list.
Event by Training Hub
An Introduction to Phlebotomy (Venepuncture)
Wednesday 24 May 2023 | 9:00am - 1:00pm
Face to Face | Course
Chris Page room, Hemingford Pavilion, Manor Rd, Hemingford Grey, Huntingdon , PE28 9BX
This event is face to face. We have ensured that the seating is socially distanced. Please do bring a mask.
This course is aimed at those new to phlebotomy (venepuncture) – an introduction the theory and practice of taking blood from the arm and dorsum of the hand.
- Anatomy and physiology
- Reasons for carrying out phlebotomy
- Different methods of phlebotomy
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Potential problems and how to address them
- Review of relevant policies and procedures
- Familiarisation with equipment used locally
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Practicing obtaining a venous blood sample from a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
On completion of the course, all delegates will have to undergo a period of supervised practice in their workplace and formal assessment of competency.
- Practice Nurses
- District Nurses
- Healthcare Assistants
Admin and Clerical staff also welcome!
The training room is on the first floor of the venue. Please see venue details in the link below:
HCA Clinical Skills
Tuesday 16 May 2023 | 10:00am - 4:00pm
Chris Page Room, Hemingford Pavilion , Manor Road, Hemingford Grey, Huntingdon, PE28 9BX
Thursday 18 May 2023 | 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Focus on your Finances
Wednesday 07 June 2023 | 1:00pm - 2:30pm