This four-part online course is aimed at GP Trainees and GPs new to out of hours, working towards their urgent and unscheduled care competencies and GPs wanting to start or return to out of hours work. Each session will last 2 hours providing an overview of key knowledge and skills required to undertake out of hours work. Delegates must sign up to the four sessions separately (Wednesday 22 February 2023, Wednesday 1 March 2023, Thursday 23 March 2023 and Thursday 30 March 2023) to complete the course, however each part can be undertaken as a stand alone session. This course is very interactive and delegates are encouraged to keep their cameras on and ask questions throughout.
This course will explore some of the differences between out of hours work and daytime general practice, including remote assessment, decision-making, lack of continuity of care and limited access to the electronic medical record.
In part 3, we will focus on:
- laboratory results
- palliative care
- telephone triage
- an approach to dealing with abnormal laboratory results presenting in the out of hours setting
- review some common laboratory anomalies eg low-sodium, high potassium, abnormal sugars, elevated d-dimer
- understand the role of the out of hours GP when palliative patients deteriorate in the out of hours setting.
- recognise palliative emergencies presenting in the out of hours setting
- how and when to prescribe ‘just in case medication” in OOH’s
- how to perform a consultation on the telephone or video
- improving telephone skills including building rapport, empathy, and signposting
- understand risks and limitations of the telephone in out of hours
- how to mitigate risk when reaching a decision on management over the phone
RCGP Members: £60.00
Non Members: £90.00
The registration links for part 1, 2 and 4 are listed below:
Effective out of hours training | part 1: Emergency Work, Safeguarding, Complaints & Safety
22 Feb 2023 18:00 – 20:00
Effective out of hours training | part 2: COVID-19, Ethics, Organisational Aspects
1 March 2023 18:00 – 20:00
Effective out of hours training | part 4 sepsis, mental health and challenging situations
30 March 2023 18:00 – 20:00