Essentials Webinar Series is a programme of 1.5-hour webinars – broadcast live – providing expert specialist clinical training and essential information. These webinars are recorded live and are available for delegates to access freely for six months from the webinar date.
Primary care health professionals play a crucial role in diagnosing blood cancer early. Patients often present with non-specific symptoms and different types of leukaemia have their own challenges in terms of diagnosis, treatment and holistic care needs. These, combined with the number of cases you may see in your professional life, mean that early diagnosis is challenging. There will be a practical focus with case studies and provision of top tips and safety netting advice.
This first part in a two part series will have a practical focus with case studies and provision of top tips and safety netting advice. Covering the main forms of acute leukaemia, typical presentations, and diagnostic challenges in primary care. We will focus on early diagnosis and early intervention, and appropriate referral mechanisms for emergency cases. Touching briefly on support for acute leukaemia patients and signposting for survivorship support, which is a key challenge for many patients.
This webinar was created in partnership with Leukaemia Care
- To give specific guidance on interpreting blood counts.
- To provide recommendations on the appropriate referral mechanism for the different suspected diagnoses.
- To raise the index of suspicion for primary care workers for the signs and symptoms, especially when using telephone triage.
- To improve communication and support offered to patients and their families by primary care, particularly for those after treatment or with chronic conditions.
Dr Neil Smith, MBChB (Hons) DCH DCCH DRCOG DFFP MRCGP (Dist) MScGP (Dist)
- Dr Steve Knapper, BA/MA, BMBCh, FRCPath, MRCP, DM
- Dr Amit Patel BSc, MB BS, PhD, MRCP(Lond), MRCS(Eng), MAcadMEd, FFICM, FRCPath
- AiT rate – £15
- RCGP Member rate – £20
- Non-Member rate – £30