Want to free up more GP appointments ?
‘The GP Community Pharmacy Consultation Service (GP CPCS) service is now live and running across the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough area. The GPCPCS aims to relieve pressure in the wider NHS in particular General Practice by connecting patients with minor illnesses to community pharmacy to deliver a swift, convenient and effective service.
In the first 5 weeks of the service over 500 referrals were made from GP Practices to Community Pharmacies for minor ailments, freeing up valuable GP appointments for more complex patients.
Discharge Medicine Service – DMS
The NHS DMS is an essential service for community pharmacy contractors. The service has been established to ensure better communication of changes to a patient’s medication when they leave hospital and to reduce incidences of avoidable harm caused by medicines. By referring patients to community pharmacy on discharge with information about medication changes made in hospital, community pharmacy can support patients to improve outcomes, prevent harm and reduce readmissions.
Electronic Repeat Dispensing – eRD
Electronic repeat dispensing (eRD) is an integral part of EPS, which offers many extra benefits over repeat prescribing. The use of eRD will support to prioritise work and help manage an increased pressure on the health service. It simplifies the repeat dispensing process, reducing footfall at the GP practice and fewer telephone calls as patients do not need to collect or order repeat prescriptions for the duration of their eRD batch. It also enhances community pharmacy efficiency improving stock control and giving a more predictable workload.
- To understand the background to GP CPCS
- The difference it can make to service providers and patient care
- To understand how the service works
- The patient journey through the service
- Experiences & feedback from community pharmacist on the service
- Experiences & feedback from lead GP on the service
- Look at system benefits for DMS
- Ensure all parties are aware including process for communication for concerns.
- Benefits of eRD
- Experiences & Feedback: Best practice experiences
- Primary Care Clinicians and Practice Managers
- PCN and Practice Pharmacists / Technicians
- Community Pharmacists
- Acute Trust Pharmacists (optional)
- CCG MOT & Clinical Leads