An opportunity for experienced Healthcare Assistants to learn the theory and practice of adult flu, pneumococcal and shingles vaccination and B12 injections: training designed for those new to vaccination. Delegates must be working at level 3 on the career framework with a minimum of 2 years experience as an HCA.
This course is aimed at those new to immunising and meets the UKHSA National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Healthcare Support Workers (2015) and will be delivered through one full day webinar and one full day face to face session on Wednesday 18th.
Delegates must be able to attend both the webinar and the face to face session.
- Aims of current influenza, pneumococcal and shingles vaccine policy
- The immune response to influenza, pneumococcal and shingles vaccines and how they work
- Vaccine preventable diseases – influenza, pneumococcal and shingles disease
- The causes, management and treatment of Vitamin B12 deficiency
- The different types of vaccines, their composition and the indications and contraindications for influenza, pneumococcal and shingles vaccines and B12 injections
- Current issues relating to influenza, pneumococcal and shingles vaccines
- Communication with patients about influenza, pneumococcal and shingles vaccines and B12 injections
- Legal aspects of prescription drugs including consent and use of Patient Specific Directions (PSDs)
- Storage and handling of vaccines and other POMs
- Correct administration of vaccines and B12 injections via the intramuscular route
- Anaphylaxis and adverse reactions
- Documentation, record keeping and reporting
- Strategies for the effective organisation of vaccination sessions
- The role of the HCSW as an immuniser (to include: role limitations, the role of others in immunisation)
- Support for the HCSW e.g. supervision, mentorship and reflection
All delegates will participate in a skills workshop to learn the necessary skills to perform safe injection technique.
This programme is based on the UKHSA National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Healthcare Support Workers (2015), guidance of professional bodies and the Department of Health ‘Immunisation against Infectious Disease’ 2006 (‘Green Book’) online and UKHSA update letters.
All delegates MUST complete pre-course e-learning which will emailed to them prior to the course.