The RCGP would like to invite you to join their FREE half-day online conference: Obesity and Communication skills – Why motivational interviewing is not the answer
This conference is recorded live and the sessions are available for delegates to access freely for 12 months once uploaded to their e-Learning platform. *Please note they endeavour to upload content as quickly as possible after the conference, but it typically takes 1-2 weeks.
Obesity is a uniquely visible disorder that has generated an array of emotive and judgemental viewpoints around causality, treatment approaches and responsibility. This online conference will focus on understanding our own biases and how attitudes more widely have been shaped, to better understand how we can deliver the supportive approaches required by this chronic relapsing condition.
- Recognise how ‘disease hierarchy’ influences GP engagement in health promotion
- Explore the impact on patient perspectives of stigmatising attitudes and language to weight.
- Find out about how media influences are shaping engagement in reducing obesity
- Understand common triggers where a supportive consultation can go wrong and what ‘being in denial’ is actually demonstrating
- Explore how digital platforms and remote consultations might reduce stigma within weight consultations
Conference Chair and speakers:
- Dr Rachel Pryke, GP, RCGP Clinical Advisor on obesity and nutrition
- Professor Paul Aveyard, Professor of Behavioural Medicine, University of Oxford
- Dr Stuart Flint, Associate Professor of the Psychology of Obesity, University of Leeds, Director of Obesity UK, and President of Scaled Insights
- Dr Stephanie di Giorgio, Portfolio GP
This conference is sponsored by:
Novo Nordisk has fully funded all costs for the development of this half-day conference. Novo Nordisk has had no influence on the content and full editorial control remains the sole responsibility of the RCGP.