This course is aimed at those who are currently taking venous blood samples and wish to update their phlebotomy (venepuncture) skills and demonstrate their continuing competence – includes a review of the theory and practice of taking blood from the arm and dorsum of the hand.
Phlebotomy (Venepuncture) Update
- Anatomy and physiology
- Reasons for carrying out phlebotomy
- Different methods of phlebotomy
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Potential problems and how to address them
- Relevant policies and procedures
- Equipment used locally
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Demonstration of competence on a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
Discussion re: recommended versus actual practice & sharing of good practice.
Please note that you will need to bring your own refreshments as they are not provided.
There are signs in the car park that say if you are parked for more than 90 minutes you will get a fine of £100, however at the reception you can enter your car registration into which will give you one day’s parking in the practice car park, please allow time to queue up at reception to activate this.