This course is aimed at those who are currently taking venous blood samples and wish to update their phlebotomy (venepuncture) skills and demonstrate their continuing competence – includes a review of the theory and practice of taking blood from the arm and dorsum of the hand.
Event by Training Hub
Phlebotomy (Venepuncture) Update
Wednesday 13 November 2019 | 2:00pm - 4:30pm
Boroughbury Medical Centre , Craig Street , Peterborough, PE1 2EJ
- Anatomy and physiology
- Reasons for carrying out phlebotomy
- Different methods of phlebotomy
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Potential problems and how to address them
- Relevant policies and procedures
- Equipment used locally
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Demonstration of competence on a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
- Discussion re: recommended versus actual practice
- Sharing of good practice
Please note that you will need to bring your own refreshments as they are not provided.
An Introduction to Phlebotomy (Venepuncture)
Thursday 04 November 2021 | 9:00am - 1:00pm
Hayward Hall, Hemingford Pavilion, Manor Road, Hemingford Grey, Huntingdon, PE28 9BX
RCGP Telephone Consultation and Triage Skills
Wednesday 03 November 2021 | 9:15am - 5:00pm
Zoom, Webinar, .
Working Together to Safeguard Adults
Tuesday 11 January 2022 | 10:30am - 12:30pm
Virtual, Course, .