Please note that the date and time is for admin purposes only. This is e-Learning.
This CPD certified course is aimed at non-clinical staff in GP practices that manage the repeat prescribing process and is a significant update to the original 2017 version.
The course should take around 4 hours 50 minutes in total to complete, although we recommend that it is done in short sections rather than the whole course at once, so that the knowledge gained can be embedded into practice before the next module is commenced:
- This e-learning course has 10 modules, three case studies and a final exam with a 70% pass mark.
- Once the course is passed a certificate of completion will be issued.
- MODULE 1 – Introduction and medication basics
- MODULE 2 – Information sources and prescription requirements – including CDs and prescription security
- MODULE 3 – Electronic Prescription Service (in England) – including updates on EPS4, electronic repeat dispensing and proxy ordering in care homes
- MODULE 4 – Repeat prescribing – policies and processes, with updates on online ordering and ordering using Apps and reducing medicines waste in relation to repeat prescribing, including updates on third party ordering and “Prescription Ordering Direct” services
- MODULE 5 – Medicines in care homes – including updates on the use of EPS and proxy ordering
- MODULE 6 – Dispensing Appliance Contractors – prescribing of nutritional supplements, stoma and continence products
- MODULE 7 – Hospital discharge information – how to manage hospital discharge summaries
- MODULE 8 – Formularies, traffic lights, “specials”, and prescribing incentive schemes
- MODULE 9 – Self care and Community pharmacy – including NHS England guidance on conditions for which over the counter items should not routinely be prescribed in primary care
- MODULE 10 – Diabetes, asthma and COPD – the basics of three therapeutic areas that PMCs will come across frequently
- CASE STUDIES – Repeat prescription requests, Care home prescriptions, Hospital discharges
This course is available for GP practice staff in our commissioning area.