Transforming the Future, a project by the East of England Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team, is a piece of work that focuses on the importance of awareness around disability and how to promote and support inclusion at a personal and organisational level.
About the event
The purpose of the event is to raise awareness around disability and the importance of understanding lived experience and invoking discussion on what can be done to transform the future to be more accessible and for those with any form of disability to thrive. The webinar is planned to run during Disability History month and will contribute to the East of England Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team’s workstream around improving experience for those with disabilities.
The event will feature:
- A talk with Diversity and Ability with NHS Employers
- A keynote speaker, Melissa Johns
- A roundtable discussion that breaks down what the workplace of the future should look like for disability and how to achieve change
- “This is me” videos, created by NHS England East of England, that showcases lived experience and the importance of sharing disability experiences
Melissa Johns, an advocate for disability rights and equality and one of the first disabled actors to win the Laurence Olivier bursary award during her training. She works in both TV and theatre and is most known for her role as Hannah Taylor in Mike Bartlett’s BBC One drama LIFE, as well as Miss Scott in the latest 4 series of ITV’s/Masterpiece PBS – drama, Grantchester. Melissa is co-founder, director and co creative lead of BAFTA award winning disabled led organisation – TripleC DANC (Disabled Actors Networking Community) with Coronation Street actor Cherylee Houston. She is also an ambassador for REACH, Models of Diversity and Invisiyouth charity.
Brought to you by
This project has been organised through the East of England Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team by the following:
- Tendai Ndongwe, Deputy Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and Senior Responsible Officer
- Elisse Grint, Project Lead
- James Hayes-Watkins, Project Manager
For more information
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about this event?
Name: James Hayes-Watkins