Aim of Placement
The primary aim of the Placement Programme is to offer students a rare and early training experience in primary care, creating a good foundation for their future and increased employment prospects. We hope this placement will increase the likelihood that more students will choose General Practice as a pre-registration option.
We hope that host practices will also benefit from having extra support and audit intelligence to help shape their priorities. In addition we hope this is also a development opportunities for experienced Clinical Pharmacists to develop their mentoring and supervision skills.
- Training Hub to engage, interview and match students to host practices
- Training Hub to arrange employment and salary for the students
- Additional support during summer
- Vital audit projects like drug monitoring, DOAC’s, Gout, QOF list completed
- CPD opportunity of practice pharmacist
- Experience of mentoring
- Supporting the pipeline of Clinical Pharmacists in C&P
- Supporting the agenda and development of Clinical Pharmacists in Primary Care
- Supporting your PCN/Practice to see the benefits and be more inclined to take on a pre-reg student
- Developing a relationship with potential future pharmacists.
Role of the student
The student must undertake an audit project during their time in the host practice but can also benefit from completing and supporting the practice with other duties such as:
- General administrative tasks
- Assisting on care home support (administrative only)
- Blood pressure, height, weight, BMI Smoking Status
- Preparation for busy winter period QOF Target
Role of supervising pharmacist
Whilst the placement should provide the student with experience of what it is likely to work in General Practice, the role of the Supervising Pharmacist is crucial to offering students, advice, direction and encouragement to make the most of the experience and provide insights that will help the student with their future career decision making. Your role will be:
- Supervising the trainee’s practice and providing constructive feedback
- Supporting the trainee to get the best from their 6 weeks and connecting them with others in the Practice
- Providing support and guidance to other staff who are supervising the trainee
- Provide regular feedback based on observation and review of projects and assessments
- Offering 1-2 hours per week one to one feedback, discussion and review of work
If you are interested in this opportunity, please complete the survey here:
Or if you would like further information please contact Jigar Raval firstname.lastname@example.org or Nicola Arbon email@example.com with any queries.